GeoBioTec pursues interdisciplinary studies on geophysics, geochemistry, biology, pedology, petrology, mineralogy, industrial minerals, geomaterials, geotechnics, isotope geology, hydrogeology, structural geology, volcanology and remote sensing. Based at the University of Aveiro, with 2 poles at the Universities Nova de Lisboa and Beira Interior, GeoBioTec comprises 5 research groups.
• Mathematical modeling for the independent living of elderly, disable, and chronic patients
• Mathematical modeling in ecology, evolution Thematic Lines and genetics
• Georesources, Geotechnics and Geomaterials – prospection, mapping, mining, risk analysis, weathering
• Sedimentary Basins and Palaeontology – sedimentology, tectonics, biostratigraphy, evolution, global changes, geological heritage
• Agro-Forestry – Staple food biofortification, phytoremediation, raw material production and transformation